Occupy Wall Street’s demands
The Heritage Foundation has compiled The Conservative’s Guide to the ‘Occupy Wall Street’ Protests. Here is Heritage’s paraphrased list of the demands of the “99 percent.” At the Heritage page, each of these items is hyperlinked to a conservative response to the demand.
Posted by Lawrence Auster at October 28, 2011 10:05 AM | Send
- Complete bans on federal political contributions, replaced by public campaign financing.
- Reversal of the “Citizens United v. FEC” Supreme Court decision.
- Combating Washington’s “revolving door.”
- Bans on gifts to federal officials.
- Tax reform—eliminating special carve-outs and increasing progressiveness.
- Single-payer health care.
- Increased environmental regulation.
- Reduction of the national debt through a progressive income tax and elimination of corporate handouts.
- Federal job-training programs.
- Student loan debt forgiveness.
- Immigration policy, including amnesty for illegals.
- Recalling the U.S. military globally.
- Education mandates and teacher pay.
- Massive expansion of public works projects.
- Spurring China to end currency manipulation.
- Reenactment of the Glass-Steagall Act.
- Refinance all underwater mortgages at 1% interest rate.
- One-year freeze on all foreclosures.
- Free air time for all political candidates who gather sufficient signatures.
- Immediate withdrawal of all troops from Iraq and Afghanistan.
This was pulled together from the website The 99 Percent Declaration. Basically, it is a blueprint for what contemporary liberalism stand and what liberals would want if they had a chance to abrogate and rewrite parts, or even all, of the Constitution of the United States. Although I haven’t read it, I have no doubt it mirrors the Democrats current party platform.
Why do I say it is a first draft of their own constitution? Part of the 99 Percent Declaration reads:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT:
WE, THE NINETY-NINE PERCENT OF THE PEOPLE of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, in order to form a more perfect Union, by, for and of the PEOPLE, shall elect and convene a NATIONAL GENERAL ASSEMBLY beginning on July 4, 2012 in the City Of Philadelphia.”